Monday, February 1, 2010

"My clarinet brings all the boys to the yard." -LMcD

11:15 ... I should be in bed right now, but I'm not because I have recently become a huge fan of iChat. That wildfire spread like herpes & now all of us Auspies are going to flunk out of school because of it. So, thank you Apple for cheating us out of our careers.

While watching the ProBowl last night, we got to talking about the Haiti chaos. We talked about how sad it was-- & sad is an understatement! It's absolutely devastating that the poorest country in the West Hemisphere is having to endure this. It'd be a tragedy for anyone to have to go through something so destructive. Another thing I find disturbing (because I'm not sure whether to think of it as blunt journalism or horrific exploitation) are the pictures of the Haitians in the rubble. I came across a picture one day that instantly made me choke. It was a picture of a father holding his dead daughter (she looked somewhere from 6-9). The pain on his face was indescribable... something that I hope I never see ever again. Posting pictures of people all bloodied up and bruised and piled in the rubble is different- those pictures of course are sad & break my heart all the same. However, this one photo stood out to me and I just didn't know what to think about it being public. This father looked so helpless and vulnerable and heartbroken.

On a lighter note--an uplifting one--I slept in til 11:30 this morning! I didn't really mean to, but I turned my 10:00 alarm off thinking I would fall asleep for about 30 more minutes. Oopsies :). Anyway, I read a really good devotional when I woke up. I usually underline a few key phrases & what not, but today I think I underlined the whole page!! So of course I need to share this one with you, so I'll show you what I underlined. Here it goes:

Who Deserves the Credit?
When we experience success, it's easy to proclaim, "I did that!" It is very easy to overestimate the importance of our own achievements in comparison with what we owe others. In other words, reality breeds humility. The greatest among us are the humble servants who care less for their own glory and more for God's glory. If you're tempted to overestimate your own accomplishments, resist that temptation. Give credit where credit is due, starting with God. And, rest assured: There is no such thing as a self-made man. All of us are made by God, and He deserves the glory, not us. "We are never stronger than the moment we admit we are weak." -Beth Moore

I'll wrap this up, but I can't end this post without giving you faithful readers a recap of the Snow Days Twenty-Ten (even though you were there, hah!). In very little detail, this is how the weekend played out:
-Dinner at Tori's Thursday night... yum. yum. YUM! I think it's such a nice gesture when someone is willing to cook a lot of food for a lot of hungry, poor, living-on-student-loans graduate students!
-Friday: "The Edge of Darkness." SO. GOOD! (I love talking in periods... I like how it emphasizes!). Definitely a keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat movie, which I love! Several parts in the movie made me not only jump, but scream. Yes, scream like a little girl. Afterwards- Tori's house... Scattergories & Catchphrase!! Built pyramids bc girls just... like to do that. I walk into Tori's living room just in time to catch the last few seconds of the pyramid fall as Katie arm-plants into Tori's glass coffee table!! We all nearly peed our pants laughing- or we did!
-Saturday: Game night at Weston's. Catchphrase and Scattergories... again! I love how Catchphrase somehow makes you spit out words that don't even exist, like "dumbos." Then back to Tori's only to play Catchphrase once more... "Black girls like to do this." "JUMPROPE!!" How in the world Tori guessed that on the very first try, I have no clue. & another: "He was an anti-semitic!" ... It was Walt Disney. I just don't get why he didn't say, "He has his own world in Orlando!" One small detail that I cannot leave out from this night: My dear friend, Lindsey, must've found inspiration in the X-Games when she decided to sled smack-dab into the front of a parked Suburban! How brave you are, Linds... we all love your battle wound :).
-Sunday: Bittersweet because it was the last snow day. The snice spoiled us! Mallory & I went to Weston's house to "watch the game." We get there & the Pro Bowl was about to start. Turns out we were watching that game, not the Razorback game! Then the Grammy's were on so of course we had to watch those.

One more funny story: Teach sang to us in class, today. "All assimilations, all assimilations, all assimilations, all assimilations" to the tune of B's "Single Ladies." ...Was def the highlight of class!

Ok this is plenty enough for one post... probably more than enough for two! Peace out, yo :)

No comments: