Thursday, May 26, 2011

The only 10 I see

It's offishiyal!!
I've got my Master of Science degree, and the commencement didn't last near as long as I thought it would.  Pointing out the hypernasality of the man calling the graduates' names was a highlight, that's for sure.  Perhaps the best part of the day, other than holding my diploma in my hands, was finding out that my close friend got engaged right before graduation!!! What a win/win situation!  Huge rock on friend's finger from man of her dreams + huge M.S. degree + being surrounded by close friends & lovely family = lots and lots of celebrating!!!  And getting iced... Thanks girls. Very clever!

Sunday afternoon after graduation (and a few Ibuprofens) I hit the road & headed east to make my personal debut in Nashville, TN.  First-timer, here, folks!!  The city skyline gave me chills and butterflies.  After delicious deep-fried sushi dipped in spicy mayo & sriracha -- "American Sushi," as I like to call it -- Amy & I drove around for a bit to look at the sights.  I also did a little bit of driving around on my own on Monday & Tuesday.  The city is beautiful.  I think I've developed a little crush!! Nashville seemed so open compared to Little Rock!  And a lot louder.  Anyone ever heard of cicadas??  I hadn't.  They make Nashville sound like someone is constantly shaking maracas right by your ears.  All that was missing was a mariachi band and some queso.

The reason for planning a Sunday-Tuesday road trip to Music City is that I had a job interview Monday morning, & to say my nerves were flying high is an understatement.  I can recall at some point telling myself not to pass out.  I don't know if it was the nerves or the stuffiness of the hallway that made me feel a little faint.  Thanks, God, for holding me up, because I was 98% positive that I was about to fall right over!  Whether or not I get the job, being called in for an interview in itself felt like quite an accomplishment!!

After making my rounds in Middle Tennessee, I jump back on I-40W towards Memphis to visit a friend I hadn't seen in way too long.  After drinking a glass of wine on a rooftop overlooking Mud Island River Park & the Mississippi River, I've decided that my itch for living in a high-rise condo with a big-city or a water-front view is very much real.  Someday...


Here's the thing.  I've been praying about this for a long time.  You may recall my blog post from last April where I talked about moving (click here to see).  I've asked God to be my guide throughout this whole job/moving ordeal and to give me patience and to help me lean on Him when I'm in doubt.  And let me tell you, when you pray for guidance, patience and trust, God will give you a situation in which you have to be patient and continuously trust that He is guiding you.  I've stressed a ton about this whole job search thing, but God is with me every step of the way reminding me that He knows the plans He has for me.  He has plans to prosper me, and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future.  I will call upon Him and pray to Him, and He will listen to me.  I will seek Him & find Him when I seek Him with all my heart.  And I'm not going to lie, there have been nights where I tell God that I'm just not understanding Him.  I find myself asking for physical words on a billboard sign or something.  But God is faithful... He is who He says He is and He can and will do what He says He will do.  God knows what He's doing.  When I can't trace His hand, I have to trust His heart.  Although I may struggle to understand what it is He wants me to do, He always sees the bigger picture, and His plan will prevail.

No comments: